GRAHAME PARK ESTATE REGENERATION
Client: Notting Hill Genesis, 2018 – Present
In 2018 Notting Hill Genesis faced a significant challenge in delivering the ambitious Grahame Park Estate Regeneration Programme. Following a rejected planning application, the project had come to a standstill – putting its goal of regenerating and building new homes at risk. The project required a new approach to rebuild trust, enable progress and ultimately achieve a financially viable and high-quality housing scheme.
We were appointed in 2018 to help get the project back on track, make progress at pace and achieve financial viability. By consolidating workstreams into a coherent programme management framework we were able to overcome immediate challenges, achieve progress and restore trust with stakeholders and the community.
Since being appointed, we have supported NHG to progress:
- A successful hybrid planning application for over 2,000 new homes, including significant public realm and infrastructure improvements including a nursery, a community centre and commercial spaces.
- Securing of in-principle board approval for funding of the whole development.
- Coordinated land assembly, including a successful compulsory purchase order.
- Construction of the first 209 new homes (100% affordable)
- Progressed detailed planning for a further 375 homes and currently project managing the application for 442 additional homes.
We have provided overall programme management of the regeneration and supported wider placemaking plans, marketing and sales strategies and meanwhile uses programmes for the site, while clearly defining the wider social and economic impacts of the scheme to build long term support from decision makers. Our support to NHG means that we are on track to deliver circa 1000 new homes by 2030.
In order to deliver this, our approach encompassed several critical aspects:
- Master Programme Management
- Strategic Advice on land assembly, phasing, resident offer and procurement strategies
- Management of development agreement with the Council.
- A comprehensive approach to manage risks
- Managing the masterplan’s financial appraisal to ensure ongoing viability.
- Implementing and managing effective governance across development, rehousing, social/economic, engagement etc
- Coordinated and managed the design team for the Hybrid planning application and two subsequent detailed planning applications.
- Procurement of first plot contractor and enabling start of site
“When we brought Inner Circle in as project managers, Grahame Park was one of our highest risk projects, causing considerable concern at Executive and Board level.
The Inner Circle team have been central to turning that situation around and developing proposals that have the full support of the organisation as well as our local authority partner and the local community.
Inner Circle worked very closely and collaboratively with us, fully understanding and meeting our requirements while also bringing rigour to the design process through robust documentation, meetings and controls. Their detailed understanding of financial viability has been invaluable in ensuring a deliverable scheme and a positive investment decision.”
Tracy Lavers – Director of Regeneration